Thursday, March 19, 2009

The not so family night.

Last night I had the great idea to take the girls bowling.  Every morning and night they do "Miracle Music"  which is a program that is kind of cheesy but works.  I turn on this music in the morning and it plays wake up music.  Then a few minutes later it says "wake up, it's time to make your bed" and then it plays fun energetic music to make their bed to.  The idea is that they have to make their bed before the music is over and they earn a point.  We proceed to do an act of kindness (clean one room in the house), get dressed, comb hair, eat, brush teeth, and so on until it is time for school.  Then we add up their points and when then reach 100 points they get a fun date with mom or dad that we have already set as their goal.  So back to the bowling.  The past few weeks we decided that having the family go bowling would be a fun reward for all their hard work.  Micah is out of school this week for Spring break, so I had the idea to go bowling.  I really didn't want to fight the crowds on a Friday or Saturday, so I loaded up the girls to head to the bowling alley (which is about 30-40 minutes away).  When we got there we got us a lane, and snacks and waited for dad.  We waited, and waited, and waited until I couldn't hold them back anymore.  So there I am with three little kids and a packed bowling alley trying to help each of them bowl.  As the time passed I was trying so hard to have a good attitude as it took everything in me to keep Aliza from running down the lane herself thinking she could be the bowling ball.  We had people on all sides of us that were probably thinking that I was crazy.  They were all pretty nice considering my girls were all over the place. Soon a man next to us started thinking we were best friends, and I was getting really uncomfortable.  He kept telling me "I would never bring three kids bowling by myself, I don't think I could even handle two."   Little did he know that I wouldn't bring three little kids bowling either.  Maybe when they are a lot older.  Now Micah was over an hour late and we were on our last few turns bowling.  He finally came in--and just what I thought had happened--he forgot and drove all the way home in rush hour traffic just to turn around and come back.  I can laugh now, but it was a crazy night.  I really need a cell phone.

6 comments:

Mikaela

Hahaha Kenzie, I love your plug for a phone at the end there. Sorry you had such a rough night. If it makes you feel any better, Dan was up until one thirty with me in tears again because Shad wouldn't eat. Only to have me talk to the Dr. today and be told to just let him sleep at night if he isn't going to eat. Would have liked to have been told that prior to the two hour meltdown, but oh well. I am sure your girls had a great time and that is the important part, right?

rachel

Seriously Micah better get you a cell phone for Mother's day or Easter. So maybe now when I see crazy parents trying to do things like bowl with lots of kids I won't judge so harshly! I can't imagine you losing your patience!

The Kohler Family

You don't have a cell phone?? I hardly ever use mine, but it is DEFINATELY good to have :)

Charlotte

Yes, you DEFINITELY need a cell phone! I can't believe you don't have one! How frustrating to you and your husband that bowling night must have been. Way to go managing things alone though!

Jenni S

Oh, that guy on the lane over would have gotten the evil eye from me. That would be hard. Mostly the youngest makes it the hardest because they just don't get the rules quit yet - they just make up their own as they go! Hey, if it makes you feel any better, we're in the no cell phone club also. I thought we were the only ones!!! I like your cute music and goals for the girls. That's really cute.

Julie Hunt

I agree - you need a cell phone! (But once you get it, make sure Micah turns his on. That is the problem with Sam and I. He has a phone but I can hardly reach him. At times it can be very frusterating!)