Thursday, May 19, 2011

Science Fair/Aliza's Violin

This week is Science Fair week at the Elementary. It was fun to walk around yesterday and see all the fun projects. Oh, the things you can learn from 4th and 5th graders. Some of them were just fun and silly facts that I would have never known otherwise. Like, perhaps you didn't know that, of all the crayon colors, black melts the fastest. :)

This was Abbie's yeast project. She researched a lot about yeast, and came up with the idea of testing yeast in different water temperatures. We had a lot of fun conducting the actual experiment. The first batch we added way too much yeast, and it pretty much exploded on us. It was pretty funny.

I think Aliza has been trying to tell me something the past few days. She has been carrying around this spoon and knife playing it like a violin. I turn on music and she pretends to play. This morning after I sat down with Abbie and Avery to practice she came over and said "I think you are forgetting somebody." If I only had the patience and money to get her started. I started Abbie at four years old, and I do believe that it is the perfect time to introduce music. It teaches so much discipline and ear training, but not right now. Maybe in the near future.


4 comments:

Julie Hunt

I love it! Just too cute!

Emily

Nice choice Abbie - and cool that she came up with it on her own and then the family got to see it in action.

Aliza definitely has some wonderful musicians to look up to in that home, no wonder she's "playing" a violin all the time :) Now that you've found a good teacher, maybe next year she can start.

Annette and Del

Too bad we don't live closer, I would teach her!...I use Suzuki..and I agree it teaches listening skills. I like to start when they are at least five, because by then they have a longer attention span...I am sure she will love to play!

Lindz

I love when you comment on my blog because it reminds me to check out your blog....it's harder to remember the private blogs! :) I got all caught up and can't believe how big your girls are getting! The pic on your blog header is SO cute....Abbie is just a mini version of you!! :) So cute! And looks like your girls already have so many talents! So fun! :) Good to hear from you! :)