Thursday, April 16, 2009

I need your help!

I need some advice.  We decided to move Aliza into her "big girl bed" a few weeks back.  We made the decision to move her because we are taking a vacation without the kids in a few months and wanted her to be comfortable sleeping without her crib.  So, for her birthday Grammie and Gramps Phillips gave her this cute bedspread and we made a big deal of switching her into the "big girl bed".  Going to sleep at night is working great.  We have had a few nights of having to put her back in her bed, but for the most part she is doing good.  The problem is nap time.  For some reason when we lay on her bed to read books before her nap it winds her up instead of down. Then she is completely wide awake and will not stay in her bed to nap.  What do I do?  I know I'm not the only one that has had this problem.  Help!!!

That's not our only problem.  Now she is getting up one or two times per night and wanting to drink milk and lay in our bed.  Yes, I let her the first couple of times (bad idea) but she was just getting use to her bed. Now I am stuck getting up every night with her.  Not only is it a bad habit of getting up, but she doesn't need milk in the middle of the night. She can really throw a good tantrum in the middle of the night. Our family that she is staying with while we are gone would not like to get up with her crying in the night.  Any suggestions?

6 comments:

The Kohler Family

Rylee did that for a while...but we just put her back in her crib for another year, haha!

Amy

I feel your pain Kenzy. Olivia is in a big bed too, but she doesn't go to bed well. She wouldn't sleep in her crib so that's why we switched, but now she has a difficult time going to bed. She won't even take naps so I don't know what the best thing to do is. Sorry, I am no help at all, but I do feel your pain. Good luck! :)

rachel

My doctor's answer is always to just let them cry. Eventually they will realize that they aren't going to get what they want. Although I have never done that with one as old as Aliza... yikes. How do ya keep her in her room at this age? I have heard of people locking the door, but I don't know how safe that is...

The Smith's

Hey Kenzy~
As you know, Mia did this step not too long ago and although she did it fairly well, it is just an addjustment for them. All that new found uncaged freedom is hard to get used to! In your post you said that you made the mistake of letting her lay with you the first several nights and giving Milk or whatever when she woke up. As you said, you know that was a problem in hindsight, and it will just make the adjustment a bit harder for her to underastand(it's just so fun beeing a parent sometimes?! Arent we suposed to make all the right desisions all the time, and why did you not consult the how to manual that came with Eliza)=)
Mia would get out of bed for nap or night and tiptoe down the hall, and one of us would be waiting for her to show her back to bed (no rocking, milk or "reward" for getting out). If you are firm in the repitition, she will adjust. This is getting long, but just as The Grinch sent little Betty Lou Whoo back to bed, You need to be more Grinchy(firm), and the cup of water that betty got from the Grinch was also a no-no~ Those are my thoughts for what they are worth, sorry so long and Good Luck? Where are you going with out the kids? Where ever it is, I know you will post pics here~ have a great time!

Laura Ayers

Wow- I clicked on your comments interested in what advice you'd get, since I had none! Sounds like it's a universal problem!!! We STILL sit on the floor in the twins room for a little while to assure they stay in bed & they're 4! It's pathetic! My fav, the Supernanny, always says just keep putting them back over & over again with no emotion or words. Sometimes on the show they've had to put the kids back over 100 times the first night! Crazy! I've never done this with the twins, because they don't actually leave the room since they have each other! They just play around in the room, so I don't know personally if it works, but it's the only idea I have to offer! Good luck :)

Julie Hunt

Transitions can be the worst. Good luck! Let us know if you came up with a solution!