Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Our Sweet Andrew

Yes, he is cute and furry but who knew owning a guinea pig could be so expensive. A few weeks back he was scratching like crazy so we took him into the vet. Turns out he had ring worm (I know, totally gross). We put him on all the medicine and after two trips to the vet we thought we were in the clear.

Last night while we were giving him his medicine he literally jumped out of my hands. He landed on the ground squealing and couldn't use his back legs. We didn't know what to do other than take him to the emergency animal clinic. I felt so horrible considering I am the one who dropped him. Abbie was the only kid awake and since it is technically her pet she was very emotional. We explained to her that he may have broken his back and she needed to say her goodbye's. We went through the whole goodbye process and Abbie was consoling him letting him know that heaven will be better than here anyway. I took him to the vet at 9:30 at night. Of corse they were very busy there with sick and hurt animals so I didn't get home until almost 12:00 p.m. That was a killer in itself. I'm getting too old to not be getting my beauty sleep. Turns out that by the time the vet saw Andrew he was using his legs and fine. If I only would have waited until morning. He is now on a very expensive pain medicine and is doing well. It's a good thing we like Andrew because after $600 and three trips to the vet in six weeks he better like his home here with us.

4 comments:

Jenni S

You have got to be kidding me! It is hard having a pet! Sometimes I wonder why we do it. Those kids just love them too much!

Annette and Del

So sorry about the hamster! Once Nick had one and it rolled down the stairs and stopped breathing, Nicholas tried to give it mouth to mouth resuscitation, and then he felt so bad when that did not work!
Kids are so emotional when it comes to pets! Our last kitty was an expensive venture to the vet, but he finally went on to heaven, with Del and I in the back yard burying him and crying our eyes out...that's it...We can't take the emotional pain:) No more pets for a while...oh and Del buried him with his toys, and extra cat food.....It makes us smile now, but at the time, we wanted to make sure he had a happy resting place with all that he loved....:D but we still miss him!!! No more pets for us for awhile!! Good Luck!!! xo Aunt Annie and Uncle Del

Mikaela

Wow Kenzy, you are such a great mom, and I am sure Micah isn't thrilled about the expense but someday hopefully Abby will look back and appreciate that $600 guinea pig! Had no idea you would be here for Eclipse, I was just missing you and wishing you would be here, and then found out you will, I can't wait to see you!

Amy

You amaze me! What a super mom you are. This just shows that you will do anything for your kids. Glad the hamster is doing better.