Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Quick Update

The past few weeks have flown by, and what a whirlwind of events. Here are some of the highlights:

Avery lost her first tooth at school on November 17th. This day just happened to be their last day at school in Utah. It was a fun surprise to see her toothless grin when I picked them up from school. The following day we loaded up our car and the girls and I headed for Vegas (to really stay this time.) The car was so jam packed that we could all hardly move. We couldn't fit everything that we needed, but did get the essentials to make it through a week before my sister and parents drove down with the rest. While the carpets were being cleaned and while waiting a few day for our stored belongings to arrive we stayed in an extended stay hotel where Micah has been staying for the past three months. It was a tight squeeze for a few nights, but we were also just glad to be together.

The first Sunday that we were in Vegas Abbie was having a little anxiety over her first day at the new church. Considering that we were definitely not "settled", nor did we even have our things back we decided that it would be a good idea to just relax. We knew that the following week we would be somewhat more normal, and the girls would have an easier transition to the new ward. We took this time to visit the Las Vegas Temple grounds. The weather was beautiful that day, and we really enjoyed looking at the beautiful "desert" landscape. BTW- Avery was the photographer if you thought we were missing someone.

Me and my girls. I completely had to bribe them to take this picture with me. Isn't that sad?

Monday, November 23rd was the day we felt like took years to come. We FINALLY had our belongings delivered to our new home in Vegas. The girls were so excited to see each piece of furniture arrive. I had to take a picture of them watching the delivery men. They were quarantined to the kitchen to keep them out of the way. We were so excited to just start ripping open boxes and see our things again that were packed away for a few months. I don't know how many times I have heard the phrase "Oh, I remember that" over the past week.

Yes, this was in our house. We have had a total of five scorpions in the home since we received the keys. We are hoping that the cause for so many scorpions is that the home sat vacant for so long. Now that we are living in it we are hoping that they will not be INSIDE any longer. I honestly didn't think about the bugs here until we were in the house. I hear they get really bad in the Spring/Summer. Something to look forward to I guess. Yuck!!!

We did attend church the following week in our new ward. The girls went with no hesitation to each of their classes, and to our surprise both met a friend that they are excited to see again this upcoming week. The following day we started school. They were both very nervous to say the least (mom too), but went with a good attitude. Avery has been saying for a few days that she didn't want to go back, but is slowly making friends and transitioning better than I thought she would. Every day when I pick them up I ask them if Today was easier than Yesterday. They always respond with a big "YES" and are realizing that each day gets a little easier.

Our new school is a public school, but requires uniforms. Finding uniforms after school has been in for a few months was tricky, but we did it. I love the idea of uniforms, and think it will be great for our girls. We are now also on year round school which will be nice for taking trips back to Utah to visit.

On the first day of school Aliza went with us to tour the school before school started. She had to pack herself a lunch, and carry a back pack just like her older sisters. I had such a hard time getting her to come home with me when school started. She just seemed so sad for the first couple of hours that Abbie and Avery were at school then was back to her normal bubbly self. She really loves to be with her sisters.

We are still unpacking box after box, and can't wait to feel like this is home. Just like the girls and school, each day is getting better and better. More pictures and updates will be coming soon.

8 comments:

Julie Hunt

Glad to hear things are going so well. I loved all the pictures. The scorpion is gross. I hope they stay outside now that you are living there!!!

Jenni S

Thanks for the update. I'm glad each day gets better. That's how life goes doesn't it??? At first I thought the girls were sitting there watching a movie. That's funny it was really the people moving things in. SO glad you are all together again!

Amy

Yay! I'm so happy for you and your cute little family. I bet it's so nice to finally be settled (or nearly) in your new home and be together as a family. Your house looks beautiful! I can't wait for more pics. I'm so glad the kids are adjusting well.

sinika

So fun that you guys are getting all settled in. What an adventure!

Jamie

Fun update. We are glad to hear you are all together for good and that things are going well. After moving 13 times in 10 years of marriage, I think we've done it all, and we can totally relate to the nerves and everything that accompanies a move. It sounds like you guys are doing great!

Beverly B.

I'm glad you're getting settled. I want to see more pictures. I'm going to come visit you the next time we're in Vegas. I'm just not sure when that will be.

katy

Great! Your in your new house. Ejoy the magic of "new beginnings". I will pray that the girls adjust to the neighborhood, ward and school and find friends. They will do great just because they have good parents like you and Micah. Hang in there!

Melissa

I am so happy for you guys that you are finally getting settled. It sounds like things are going good, except for the scorpions :(. I would freak out. Good luck with those.

Your girls look so cute in their uniforms!