Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Traditions

It seems like every time the Christmas season comes around we look forward to the same fun traditions every year. This year Abbie started us a new one that was a lot of fun. She was practically begging me to have some friends over to act out the Nativity which I was really hesitant to do for some reason. Then when I realized that she could plan this activity to pass off a project for Activity Days I decided to let her take charge. She made invitations, assigned everyone parts, and even made refreshments. I was very appreciative of the other families who came dressed in their parts, and took the time out of their busy schedule to help Abbie. We had a lot of fun and learned how we can make improvements for next year.

Technically I don't buy them Christmas dresses every year, but this year I couldn't pass them up when I realized that this may be the last year we could get matching dresses for all three. Not just in size, but Abbie is getting too old to want to dress like her sisters. So this was technically for mom and I loved it.

You may have noticed that we don't have five girls. Some of our friends in our ward had the same idea. Both Avery and Aliza were thrilled to find their friends in the same dresses. We must have the same taste.

This year our attempt at our Christmas countdown didn't go as smooth as years past. Sadly as each year comes we are getting busier and busier with our kids getting older. It was really hard to squeeze in some of our regular countdown activities with everything else the kids had going on each day. Next year I will have to do a simpler version so we can fit it in easier on those busy week nights.

Our wonderful "Elf On The Shelf" came to pay us a visit again this year. I love how each morning the girls would run around the house trying to find his new spot for the day. This was one of my favorite spots.

For years we have been having a FHE at the start of the Christmas season to talk about service and serving others. Each time the girls did a kind deed they were able to put one piece of straw into the manger to make a bed for baby Jesus. It's fun to see the manger slowly fill with hay, and see the kids doing things for each other.

This year we were given another Christmas tree from my parents neighbors. I had mentioned to my mom that I would like a taller tree because of our vaulted ceilings and it just so happened that their neighbors were trying to get rid of a tree. My parents were kind enough to bring it to our home on one of their visits to see us. So we had two trees this year, one in the front room which was my tree and one in the back family room that the kids made lots of homemade decorations for. I loved having both trees. That way no matter what part of the house I was in I could see a Christmas tree. I don't think Micah thought it was so great though when it came time to put them away.

One evening out of our Christmas Countdown we did make gingerbread houses. This is my version because they stick together really well. Plus they each were able to make their own. Every year the Christmas season goes by too fast. I'm already looking forward to next year.


1 comments:

Jenni S

Fun traditions. I love that Elf on the Shelf. I should try something like that, the kids would love it.