Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mt. Charleston

A few Saturday's ago we decided to take a one hour drive to Mt. Charleston for a hike. We had heard that there was a little bit of snow on the mountains, so we didn't know quite what to expect. We didn't see any snow, but they were getting all of the ski slopes ready for the winter season. It was still fun to see the ski lodge and get more familiar with the area.

Where we chose to hike wasn't the most beautiful in terms of tall trees with fall leaves, but we made the most of it. It was the perfect temperature outside for hiking. My favorite part of the hike was eating pine nuts right from the pine cones on the ground. The girls had so much fun picking out the nuts and eating them all along the trail. It reminded me of my cute Grandpa Kent who would always have pine nuts at his house whenever we would visit. It was so fun to remember him and share some stories about him with my girls while we hiked.

Even little Lizzie did great on the hike. She only asked for Micah and I to carry her through a small section. She loved picking out walking sticks all along the way. She would walk with one for awhile and then discard it for a new one.

We always have to squeeze in a silly picture.

2 comments:

Lindz

I just got all caught up on your blog! :) I still cannot get over how big your girls are and that Abbie is already in 4th grade! So don't you love that you can still go on a hike in November and not freeze and deal with snow?? Or do you miss the snow?? We're heading to Park City this weekend and I am not so sure that I am ready for the snow!! HA!

Nielson

How fun to still hike in November and not freeze! I'm a little jealous of that...although I do love the four seasons :)